q: how does "innovation" really work?
People & ideas creating businesses
More than just a space, Rust490 is about HOW ideas happen in the world of work.
Rust490 helps catalyse people to
table ideas & generate more,
fast track business,
explore “what if we could” propositions,
to foster ideas into happening.
Whatever the problem, team work is the answer
Fueled by technology
People and ideas mesh with technology to transform & radicalise customer experiences & whole markets, inspiring & frustrating yet anchoring the ways we make ideas happen.
Local to global.
Tech platforms, IP & business tools,
AI, VR, Blockchain
are the tips of fast moving morphing icebergs, powering work.
This is Rust490’s world
a space where it’s not business-as-usual
Rust490 originated as a creative workshop space in a gallery of immersive Territory landscape images. Our space morphs with lunacy ideas technology and purpose.
A creative non BAU space catalyses open minded team work.
Space & methods to catalyse different business building through people coming together with ideas & inquiry. Contemporary models & practices from start up thinking world.
grounded in place globally oriented
Rust490’s heart is in the Territory.
We draw inspiration from place and our places teach us.
Rust 490 = us + you
Rust 490’s foundational inspiration is creating a unique Northern Territory place, enabling people, ideas, and communities to collide & flourish through fearless dialogue, team work, creativity, and clever technology.
Over the last 4 years Rust490's taken turns and followed sign posts for different routes, on a journey searching for fit in our market as our capacity allowed. Unconstrained by any external funding!
Browse News & Events to see some of Rust490’s IdeasFests connections with extraordinary people with ideas. People that are often audacious, yet care. Love team work. Could be called renegades .
Rust490 is a platform for ideas shifting. A business built on what does “innovation” really mean for you.
AND YOU - So many people with ideas have wandered into Rust490’s orbit over the last 4 years; this is what you look like in all your diversity
• You have an idea, a big plan, something you can’t let go of, its got a life of its own, to change or fix something, or create something new
• You are in business (yours or someone else's), and you want to shift in a direction you are not sure of
• You see a big picture problem and want to DO something about it
• You have an event or a project or a team that’s Business As Usual, and you want to cut through to some point of difference.
Rust490 offers you services to use the power of ideas, technology and diversity to replenish or create a business, a team, a partnership, or a community of practice. You may be individuals, organisations, teams, projects, established businesses and entrepreneurs. People with ideas.
* Explore ideas, qualify them in. * Understand and generate opportunities. * Run events, opening up ideas across a community of interest or practice. * Hack a problem
RUST490 OFFERS help to -
1. Table and interrogate ideas to find fit. If an idea holds up, identify ways on a page to realise it
2. Find ways to hack problems. How can we (do something)? What if we could (solve or fix something)? BIG problems, or micro – their commonality is that the problem holds impact, complexity and intractability. Get fresh ideas and options on the table then work out the how
3. Unpack “innovation” – a romp through the meanings and usefulness of the ubiquitous “I” word for you, on different dimensions of innovation, with some practical models. How can you make “innovation” work for you?
4. Work with the Lean Business Canvas: everyone does! Why would you use a LBC? Qualify in an idea FAST, iteratively create business model cases from an idea? Its just one model that can work
5. Understand how IP matters. An entrepreneur’s practical do it yourself basics conversation about IP things, processes, patent searching and global thinking for you to decide if / how you need IP.
6. Random other topics will emerge. Ask Rust490 for what you'd like.
HOW WE DO IT
Fast- no one’s got much time Qualified in or out as you need. We use contemporary agile tools and methods from start up thinking world, now 20 years old, backed by brilliant material on the web. Inherently flexible and innovative
Workplaces and business as usual methods can be proscriptive and prescriptive. Soul destroying. It’s hard to get space/ time to reflect, think & act differently. Yet thinking differently can be a norm.
• Workshops, seminars, tools, practices, ideas pitches, mini sprints, hackathons, workshops, fringe events, pop ups where you need us
• One hour? 2 hours? Ideas out on the table on 30 minutes? 3 mornings in a row? It depends on you and your intent
New ways – Fast, Learning focused, Fearless. Teams. Open. Ask for what you need. Discover a space for possibilities, and lose legacy rusted-on thinking.
News and Events
IdeasFest Tourism (watch the stunning 2 minute video!) was an exhilarating one day ideas hackathon event at the Wirraway Business Centre at Darwin International Airport, open to everyone with tourism ideas and visions for the Territory – Saturday 28th April 2018. Rust490 was a major organizer. Like other IdeasFests, this event grew from the conviction that people’s ideas Read more about Ideasfest Tourism April 2018 – Ideas to Spark Business[…]
The Territory’s first ever Startup Weekend is in Darwin 10 -12 November 2017 as part of TECHSTARS GLOBAL STARTUP CELEBRATION week. Rust490 will be in the middle of it! Techstars is “the world wide entrepreneur network” – a global investment and startup engine that’s built the startup weekend model into one the most successful community catalysts for ideas and Read more about Techstars Startup Weekend Darwin November 2017[…]
A fabulous inaugural IdeasFest TopEnd Women on Friday 27/10/2017 was hosted by Luke Gosling OAM MP at Monsoons, organised by by Deb Turner ThinkSmart NT, Jude Ellen Rust490 and Jessica Christie ELB . It was a first IdeasFest for 45 invited women to see what people thought, and also a pilot for new ways of using technology to gather Read more about IdeasFest Top End Women 2017[…]
A fast paced lunch time workshop run by Jude Ellen, designed to foster ideas with creative fearless entrepreneurial thinking, finding the edge for successful action Global forces propelled by technology are shifting our world, colliding with our local realities, creating dynamic risks and opportunities for us as a community. And we are urged to innovate – Read more about Flourish or Die! October 2017[…]
Australia Post Regional Pitchfest’s 2017 Northern Territory finals are on the 14th of July at the Darwin Entertainment Centre Studio Theatre between 6:45pm and 9:30pm. Rust490’s been in the middle of making this happen over the 3 months lead in, because – “Regional Pitchfest is all about proving you don’t need to be from the big smoke Read more about Australia Post Regional Pitchfest Northern Territory Final – 14th July 2017![…]
The Melbourne Accelerator Program (MAP) is coming to the Territory and hosting a 2 hour intensive workshop on Friday the 14th of July 2017 12pm and 2pm at Rust490. Not sure who MAP are or what they’re all about? Read on! MAP at a glance: MAP’s mission is to launch high growth ventures into the world. Read more about Melbourne Accelerator Program @ Rust490 – 14th July 2017![…]
Our hunch worked! Rust490’s intuition that ideas and entrepreneurs across our communities were impatient to be brought together and unleashed proved right- the inaugural Top End IdeasFest’s immediate legacy was a step up and outpouring of action. Designed like a start up weekend, but condensed by Rust490 into one intensive day the IdeasFest was an Read more about The First Top End IDEASFEST April 2017[…]
Stay in touch - you matter!
We take privacy seriously, we promise no funny business.
If you have a moment drop Jude a note below on what Rust490 can do to do to help you.